header cta
service icon Service Call or Text:  (801) 381-4471
subpage banner mobile subpage banner

back to blog

Primer on Commonly-Used Plunger Types

If there’s a single item that’s synonymous with plumbers and plumbing services, it’s likely the plunger. Used to create suction and pressure which help loosen and remove clogs and buildups in various plumbing drains, plungers are items many of us have used regularly in our lives.

At My Buddy the Plumber, we’re familiar with not only every plunger type you might run into, but also numerous additional professional drain cleaning methods for tougher, more stubborn clogs. Did you realize that there are actually several plunger types out there, each best for certain drain or clog types? Here’s a quick primer on each of these primary types and where you might see them, plus what they’re generally meant for.

Cup Plunger

The cup plunger, also known as the sink or standard plunger, is the most common and well-known type. They typically come with a basic wooden handle and a red rubber plunging tool, and are the image most people think of when they hear the word “plunger.”

Despite their popularity, though, cup plungers are actually not meant for toilets. Rather, they’re targeted at sinks, bathtubs and other drains that are surrounded by a completely flat surface, which allows them to create the proper suction and pressure. They may work on certain minor toilet clogs in some cases, but this is not their designed purpose.

Flange (or Toilet) Plunger

The plunger actually meant for the toilet is called the flange, or toilet, plunger. This plunger is similar to the cup type, but with an additional rubber flap that folds out. This flap allows the flange plunger to create suction on non-flat surfaces, namely the toilet bowl, by wedging itself into the drain hole.

This creates a vacuum effect due to the extra rubber. If your toilet regularly clogs up, you’d do well to purchase a flange plunger – which can also work on sinks or tubs if needed.

Accordion Plunger

The accordion plunger is an even larger tool, one with a smaller cup than the flange plunger but much heavier, ridged-grip plastic that forms an accordion-like body (hence the name). This plunger is meant primarily for toilet drains and may not do as well on others – it produces high degrees of force and is usually used for heavy, stubborn clogs.

Taze Plunger

Finally, a plunger rarely found in homes but sometimes used in commercial buildings is the taze plunger. This option has a disc meant to fit a specific pipe size, then a steel rod that pushes this disc into the pipe. Generally speaking, a taze plunger is only owned and used by professional plumbers.

For more on the various plunger types out there, or to learn about any of our plumbing or HVAC services, speak to the staff at My Buddy the Plumber today.

contact background mobile contact bg
Buddy1 Buddy1
Contact My Buddy
to schedule your next appointment

We make sure to take care of your plumbing system with our professional touch. We get the job done fast and our prices are reasonable.

Call Today
Schedule Appointment
truck removebg preview
m truck removebg

Join the My Buddy Club

Easy Maintenance & Exclusive Benefits

The My Buddy the Plumber’s Club is our comprehensive maintenance membership program that will protect your home comfort systems! From an in-depth home plumbing inspection to thorough furnace and air conditioning tune-ups, the club does it all. Our team will ensure your HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems are running safely and in top shape. Joining our club can also provide plenty of exclusive perks, such as:

  • Priority service
  • 10% discount on repairs
  • No after-hours fees
  • Peace of mind
  • Matched manufacturer’s warranty
  • Tank water heater flush
  • Drain cleaning
  • Electrical safety inspection
bottom argyle bottom argyle2 mobile
content image content image mobile
top argyle2 top argyle2